The thought of homemade hemp milk has crossed my mind over the years. I just never did it. There are only so many hours in the day right? We have to “choose our battles” as the saying goes.
I have made my own kombucha for years. Cooking our meals from scratch almost always happens. The instant pot is used all the time. My hands spend hours chopping vegetables and preparing fresh food. I make celery juice almost daily. However, with some things I choose a pre-made route simply to save time. For some reason I never went forward with researching homemade hemp milk. And now, life with our daughter is a busy one blending her needs, the family’s, and mine.
Through the years my husband and I have transitioned from omnivore, to vegan, to vegetarian, to pescetarian, and back to omnivore in about a twenty year time frame. When we were drinking milk, we only drank organic whole milk. We then tried organic soy milk for a while. However, we stopped drinking soy milk when we learned more about the challenges of phytoestrogens on the body.
Consequently, I looked into organic hemp milk, but it was so expensive. Thus buying organic almond milk was a more cost effective option. The challenge, though, is to find organic AND unsweetened almond milk. Also it is difficult to find almond milk WITHOUT natural flavors, or stabilizers, or thickeners like carrageenan that cause inflammation.
A Helpful Tip from a Friend
Hence, I shared my recent dismay with a friend, Jem Roberts, a CNTP – Certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, about the organic almond milk I use not recently being available. Without delay she shared with me the ease, joy, and awesome health benefits of making homemade help milk. Why did I not do this before? Crazy!
As a result, I hastily researched some recipes. I ordered organic raw hemp seed in bulk and started making my own help milk. The next day my husband, my two year old, and two friends tried my recipe. All but my two year old loved it. There is definitely a healthy greenness to it. However, with the Amazing Grass Vanilla Superfood Vegan Protein Powder I add to it for her morning milk… my daughter loves it!
I cannot believe how easy it is to make homemade hemp milk. Plus you control all the ingredients so you know exactly what you are getting. On top of that, it’s outstandingly good for you!
Easy Homemade Raw Vegan Organic Vanilla Hemp Milk
- 1 cup Hemp seeds/hearts Organic
- 4 cups Clean water
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 2 whole Dates – dry and pitted Organic
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Organic – if possible
- Combine all ingredients and store in blender in the fridge overnight to soak.
- Blend in the morning.
- Serve and enjoy, or use in a smoothie.
Keep in mind, this recipe does not strain out the hemp seeds. If soaked overnight, they blend up completely. This gives you absolutely all the fiber and nutrition in the hemp seeds. Also, this recipe does have a natural green or earthy taste. Finally, the mixture will separate between uses. Simply give it a good shake before drinking and the creamy milky look will reappear.
Organic Hemp Seeds
- organic raw hemp seeds are rich in protein
- they are Omega-6 rich
- they are also Omega-3 rich
- hemp seeds a sustainable source of amino acids, fatty acids, protein, and minerals
- dates are a great alternative and natural sweetener
- they are high in fiber
- they include disease fighting anti-oxidants
- natural energy booster due to natural sugars (fructose, glucose and sucrose) which are easily processed into energy
- use Madagascar Bourbon organic vanilla if you can
- conventional vanilla is also available
- vanilla is a powerful anti-oxidant
- vanilla has anti-bacterial properties
- and vanilla helps reduce inflammation
Himalayan Pink Salt
- true Himalayan pink salt is full of minerals that support healthy and detoxify the body
- pink salt supports electrolyte balance
- this salt also helps to balance PH between alkaline and acidity
- and it is free of iodine and flouride and aluminum hydroxide which are toxic ingredients often added to salt
Fortunately most of us have the luxury of drinking mostly safe tap water. However, if you are interested in really healthy and clean water, filtering or using some enhancing or processing machine to clean it up one step further increases health benefits. There are lots of options out there to choose from so research is required.
About 10 years ago, we decided to use Kangen Water, which provides a vairety of PH levels for different uses. The Kangen machine creates electrolytically-reduced and hydrogen-rich water. The 8.5-9.5 PH drinking water works to restore alkalinity in the body. This can support health and fight chronic diseases.
We love our machine. It is easy to use and easy to clean. Plus the health benefits are incredible. If you want to know more and from an expert, message in the comments. The person who helped us get all set up is a wizard of Kangen information. He is retired, yet loves to share the science and health benefits of Kangen Water.
But wait there’s more…
And if you like to splurge on cookies with your milk, try this gluten free peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe.