Organic Living Diva
Holistic Living • Natural Wellness • Homeschooling
Menopause is a natural phase in a woman’s life that marks the end of reproductive years. While it brings about significant hormonal changes and potential challenges, it also presents an opportunity for women to prioritize their health and well-being. In this blog post, we will explore various strategies and lifestyle choices that can help women maintain optimal health during menopause.
Personally, I started going through menopause about a year before turning 50 in 2022. What I have learned from a life of conscious living, is that you can move through menopause with vitality, grace and natural healthy living. Don’t get me wrong, I have had my fair shares of hot flashes and body changes, however, I have found holistic living supports this goddess transition in life.
Eat a Nutrient-Rich Diet:
- A balanced and nutrient-rich diet plays a vital role in managing the symptoms of menopause and promoting overall well-being. Focus on incorporating whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats into your meals. Include calcium-rich foods to support bone health and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids for heart health. Limit your intake of processed foods, refined sugars, and unhealthy fats to maintain hormonal balance.
- Dehydration can exacerbate common symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes and mood swings. Ensure you drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day. Hydration not only helps regulate body temperature but also supports healthy digestion, circulation, and overall cellular function.
- Engaging in regular physical activity offers numerous benefits during menopause. Exercise helps maintain a healthy weight, improves cardiovascular health, strengthens bones, boosts mood, and enhances overall energy levels. Aim for a combination of cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises. Consult with a healthcare professional or fitness expert to create an exercise routine that suits your individual needs and preferences.
- Menopause can be a stressful and emotionally challenging time for many women. Excessive stress can worsen symptoms and negatively impact overall health. Explore stress-management techniques such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or engaging in hobbies and activities that bring you joy. Prioritize self-care and allocate time for relaxation and rejuvenation.
- For me, the support I seek, I have found in the active meditation and physical cleansing of 90 minute hot hatha yoga.
- Quality sleep is crucial for overall health and well-being. However, menopause can disrupt sleep patterns due to night sweats, insomnia, or hormonal changes. Establish a bedtime routine that promotes relaxation, create a comfortable sleep environment, limit caffeine and electronic device use before bed, and consider discussing sleep concerns with a healthcare professional if needed.
- For some women, hormone therapy may be an option to manage severe menopausal symptoms. It’s important to consult with a qualified healthcare provider who can provide guidance on the benefits, risks, and suitability of hormone therapy based on your individual circumstances and medical history.
- For me, I have found in addition to holistic living, a few supplements specific to this change in life have helped out tremendously – Amata Life Pureria Murifica and Modere OVA-M. I also take advantage of natural anti-aging skin care and supplements.
- Regular health check-ups and screenings become even more crucial during menopause. These include mammograms, bone density scans, cholesterol checks, and regular gynecological examinations. Maintaining open communication with your healthcare provider enables proactive management of menopause-related health concerns.
- For me, getting blood tests annually to review my system and make any adjusts on food and supplement intake has worked well in keeping me in balance.
- Menopause can be an emotional journey, and seeking support from loved ones, friends, or support groups can make a significant difference. Share your experiences, concerns, and challenges with others who can provide empathy, understanding, and helpful advice.
As I mentioned before, my life focus has always been holistic and natural. I have been active most of my life from high school sports, to long distance road bicycling, hot yoga, hiking mountains, swimming, occasionally roller blading, walking, and keeping up with our young daughter (that is an exercise category – ask any parent.) Staying active and restarting when I’ve strayed has helped through the long haul.
Additionally, I believe food is thy medicine and what you eat you become. With that in mind, our family eats as organic and clean as possible, with lots of home cooking, lots of fresh organic and GMO-free produce and products. We also enjoy a bounty of supplements.
While menopause brings about unique challenges, it is also an opportunity for women to prioritize their health and well-being. By adopting a healthy lifestyle, nourishing your body with nutritious foods, staying active, managing stress, and seeking support, you can navigate through this transition with grace and maintain optimal health during menopause. Remember, every woman’s experience is unique, so listen to your body and consult with healthcare professionals for personalized advice and guidance along the way.